Many people ignore the importance of investing in the right pillow for themselves. Many people wake up with terrible neck pain. Are these two things connected? Let us find out!
According to experts, having a pillow that suits your needs is vital for good sleep.
The two choices that are most popular with regard to pillows are down pillows and memory foam pillows.
What are the differences between the two? What are the benefits of each? Is one better than the other?
In this post, we will answer all these questions and more.
Memory foam pillows
There are many benefits of memory foam pillows.
Some of these advantages include:
- Since a memory foam pillow is dense, it makes sure the neck is not bent in an unnatural way. Memory foam travel neck pillows are a hit because of this very reason.
- It keeps the neck and spine aligned in one straight line.
- Memory foam has the quality of body contouring which is extended to pillows as well. When you rest your head on a memory foam pillow, it takes the shape of the head, thus giving you maximum comfort.
- It retains both its shape and size. So the old habit of flipping the pillow can be put to rest!
- It works for all kinds of sleepers – people who sleep on their backs, their stomachs, their sides, and mixed sleepers.
- Memory foam pillows elevate your head and so the tendency to snore is reduced.
- These pillows are durable. They not only last for a long time, but they also retain their initial qualities if maintained and used properly.
- Memory foam pillows are hypoallergenic. These keep allergens of all kinds away. They are anti-dust, anti-dust-mite, and anti-molds. As a result, the pillows are always fresh and clean, thus maintaining hygiene.
Memory foam pillows if not manufactured by the right brands can have an issue of temperature neutrality, which can be a major disadvantage.
When purchasing a memory foam pillow, make sure the brand has incorporated some cooling technology to overcome this con.
Having cooling crystals or cooling gel or an open cell structure are ways in which brands are ensuring that their memory foam pillows do not get heated up during the night causing the sleeper great discomfort.
The advantages of down pillows include –
- These are as soft and as fluffy as clouds. They offer body contouring and so maintain the natural alignment of the neck and the spine, not bending them in an unnatural way.
- Down pillows absorb body heat while still being breathable.
- They are durable. They last long if taken care of and used properly.
The cons of a down pillow that cannot be ignored are –
When it comes to down pillows, hygiene can be an issue. People with sensitive skin or those who catch a cold easily might want to avoid down pillows.
These are not as comfortable as memory foam pillows since the feathers might poke through the surface and scratch the neck or the face.
The support offered by down pillows is not as good as that provided by memory foam pillows. Though down pillows conform and adapt to the head of the sleeper, over a period of time, they tend to sink around the head. This might lead to snoring and neck pain in the long run.
A big concern with down pillows is the formation of lumps, which makes them extremely uncomfortable to sleep on. Since the pillow absorbs body heat and moisture, these contribute to the clumping of the feathers in the pillow, thus ruining their smoothness.
Down pillows need to be fluffed up regularly to maintain the softness and fluffiness, unlike a memory foam pillow.
Which pillow should you go for?
Memory foam vs down pillows
Now, this is something for you to decide. After skimming through these pros and cons of both down pillows and memory foam pillows, you should be able to make a good choice for yourself.
If you are someone who prioritizes hygiene, then memory foam pillows are the ones to go for. If you catch a cold pretty quickly or have sensitive skin, then it is advised that you dodge down pillows.
Also, memory foam pillows are a better choice to avoid neck aches and back pains, since they offer superior contouring compared to down pillows.
Durability-wise, as well, memory foam pillows have an advantage over down pillows. Memory foam pillows not only last long, they maintain their firmness and other qualities for as long as they live, provided they are used properly and taken care of.